The following information outlines criteria for various awards offered by the Icelandic National League of North America (INLNA) along with the process details and application form.
- Nominations (re A, B, C, D) can be submitted by any member of an INLNA organization.
(i.e.: chapter/club, affiliate, associate, individual)
- Applications (re E) can be submitted by the applicant themselves … see Section E for details.
*** Nominations for awards must be received at the INLNA office by January 31st each year.
A - HONORARY LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP AWARD (approximately 5 awarded each year)
- Nominee must be a current member in good standing of an INLNA organization
- must have served 10 years as member of an INLNA organization
- must have demonstrated one or more of following:
- outstanding service to INLNA through involvement in a member organization
- involvement through understanding and promotion of Icelandic Culture and Heritage
- involvement in community activities
*** note: these awards may be limited to 5 each year with the host club having priority for 2 nominee
B - JOAN INGA EYOLFSON CADHAM AWARD (1-not necessarily awarded each year)
- Nominee must be alive and need not be a current member of INLNA
- shall have had a membership in one or more North American Icelandic organizations that
belong to the INLNA
- must have demonstrated outstanding service in the promotion of Icelandic culture and heritage in
North America in the areas of Literature, the Arts, and/or Media
- significant involvement in local community affairs both inside and outside the Icelandic community
C - LAURENCE S. G. JOHNSON LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD (1-not necessarily awarded each year)
- Nominee need not be a current member of INLNA
- shall have served 15 or more years as member of one or more North American Icelandic organizations
- and demonstrated outstanding service to one or more North American Icelandic organizations as
evidenced by the understanding and promotion of Icelandic culture and heritage
- and significant involvement in local community affairs
* recognition of achievements and involvement both inside and outside the Icelandic community is seen
as above and beyond the criteria for ‘Honorary Lifetime Membership’
D - STRONG IS THE BOND / RÖMM ER SÚ TAUG AWARD (1-not necessarily awarded each year)
- Nominee must be a current member in good standing of INL Iceland or an INLNA organization
(i.e. Chapter/Club, Affiliate, Associate, or Individual)
- served 15 or more years within INL Iceland, INLNA (Chapter/Club, Affiliate, Associate, or Individual)
- has been dedicated to strengthening the bonds both locally and internationally
- made significant contributions through volunteering with INL/INLNA
- involvement in international programs, events, education, IS language, heritage, culture, online
projects and more
- reaching across borders to Canada, USA, Iceland and beyond as a volunteer locally and internationally
promoting all things Icelandic in a positive way
- promoting and preserving the ties between all our countries by VOLUNTEER activities
E - CONVENTION REGISTRATION AWARDS (maximum of 4 awarded each year)
Convention registration will be paid by INLNA for up to 4 young persons (aged 13-35) who are interested in exploring their Icelandic heritage by experiencing the excitement and fun of an
Icelandic National League of North America (INLNA) convention.
To be considered for one of these Awards the applicant should submit a 1-page letter indicating:
- full name - date of birth - Icelandic heritage details
- contact information (mailing address, email, phone number)
- and why they would like to attend an INLNA convention
The letter must be received at the INLNA office on or before January 31st.
Successful applicant(s) will be notified (by email) - usually by end of February.
* Note: Successful applicants for Awards A, B, C, or D need not be in attendance for the presentation.
Preparation and Submission of a Nomination
- Please review the above criteria to determine which award you wish to submit a nomination for
- Complete the Nomination Form (provided below re Awards A, B, C, or D)
- prepare a 1 page summary of your nominee’s qualifications to be attached to Nomination Form
- also prepare a ½ page condensed summary for printing in the awards program if your
nomination is successful
- submit the following to the INLNA office (by email or regular mail) by the January 31st each year.:
- completed Nomination Form
- 1 page summary
- and the ½ page ‘condensed’ summary
- All nominations (re A,B,C,D) and applications (re E) received at the INLNA office by the January 31st
deadline will be reviewed by INLNA Board Members and winners will be determined
- the INLNA office will notify all nominators of the Board’s decision (usually by end of February)
- the INLNA office will also send a congratulatory letter to successful nominees/applicants only
- awards will be presented during the Awards Ceremony at the next INLNA convention
TO DOWNLOAD THE AWARDS NOMINATION FORM, CLICK HERE!